Saturday, March 30, 2013

Facing my fears: 89a

Yesterday was a perfect afternoon for a ride. After I got off work, I headed out for a ride with no real destination in mind.

First, I drove out to the county fairground to toodle around in the parking lots. From there, I could either ride to Lake Mary, or down the 89A towards Sedona.

The 89 scares me. It's one lane each way, fairly narrow, 55mph ride to the switchbacks, which drop you about 1000 vertical feet in 2 miles. Mercifully, speed limit in the turns is 25mph.


I knew that I was going to have to ride this way eventually. It is some of the best landscape you can get your hands on in Northern Arizona and there is no way I will pass that up on a motorcycle. I figured I might as well face my fears and ride it. So I did. 

Surprisingly, I didn't have a hard time of it. I took it really easy and let the bike do the work. Used the pull-outs on the way down to let impatient 4-wheeled vehicles pass me. I've been that person; I understand that following someone going slow sucks. Overall it was a beautiful ride. I wish I had my helmet had a visor because I spent some time with the sun in my eyes but I guess I'm SOL on that one for now.

While I was out, I also got my first motorcycle wave! Actually, my first three. It was great. I've been watching bikers wave at each other for years. Now I finally get to participate! 
(I know, I'm a n00b.)

In total, the ride was about 40 miles.


Also learned that the bike has a 1.7 gallon tank with another .8 in reserve. Should be 2.5 gallons total. With the reserve I should be able to do at least 140 miles. Not too bad!

Planned repairs/modifications for the bike include:
adding a digital speedometer OR a phone charger (by phone has a great speedometer, but it kills my battery)
front and rear brakes
new clutch and front brake handles

No comments:

Post a Comment