Sunday, March 24, 2013

Maintenance: Front Brake & Chain

Spent a little bit of time working on basic maintenance and familiarizing myself with the honda this morning after my ride.

My buddy Case helped me do a brake fluid flush. The rear brake is a drum brake, operated mechanically with a cable. The front brake is disc and operates on hydraulics. The brake fluid in the system was really nasty. Old, yellow, really gunked up. We flushed it out with about 3 reservoirs worth of new brake fluid, which is clear.

Gunked up fluid coming out of the brake system on the front wheel, (mostly) into a bucket.

Also did a ten minute chain clean/lube. Having the bike on the center stand was very good for this.
Learned how to remove the seat, found the helmet lock, checked the air filter (brand new).

Front brakes are improved, but nowhere near as good as I think they ought to be. Probably going to do a brake pad/caliper check this week. May also look into tightening the chain, which has about one inch of vertical play right now.

Case has been riding for nearly ten years and tells me the bike is in great shape; he is impressed. Love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment