Friday, March 22, 2013

Obtaining the bike

Well, today was the fateful day.

I purchased my first motorcycle. A blue 1981 Honda CM400T.

With the help of my buddy Preston and his FJ, we rented a small motorcycle trailer in Flagstaff, towed it down to Cottonwood and picked up the bike. Towed it back to Flagstaff, put it in the garage, and now I am waiting for my helmet to come in the mail so I can actually go learn how to ride it. I also purchased a set of $30 riding gloves that come very well recommended by the guys who were hanging around the shop.



It was checked out and given a full green-light by the mechanics at D&K Service Cycle. New front tire, topped off the oil, and it's good to go. I talked to the individual guys who worked on it (instead of trusting the boss's word) and they all seemed glad it was going to a new home and ensured me that all it needs is to be ridden and enjoyed.

I had the opportunity to just tool around the parking lot a bit before we loaded the bike onto the trailer in Cottonwood. I stalled it 3 consecutive times before managing to actually move.

Also: I learned that it wants the kickstand up before starting. At least, I think I learned that. Will have to confirm tomorrow morning when my helmet arrives.

All the lights, gauges and definitely the engine seem to work great. All in all, everything seems fantastic.

I still need to:

  • Get registration/etc all done with the title, which I have. Gotta wait until Monday to do that at the MVD.
  • Get insurance set up. It's an old, small bike so I can't imagine insurance will be expensive.
  • Make sure the helmet and stuff all fits
  • RIDE!



No comments:

Post a Comment