Monday, April 8, 2013

Brake rebuild + control lever replacement

As previously mentioned, I knew the brakes on this bike needed some work. My buddy Amanda and I Sat down for a couple hours and got to it. We learned how to take apart the front brakes from a lovely YouTube video. It was made by a dude who Amanda and I affectionately call "bubba" because ... well when he talks you can't help but think he sounds like a "bubba." No idea what his real name is, but the video he puts together is both informative and hilarious. All school should be like this.



Thanks, Bubba.

Unfortunately, the parts I got from my local motorsports store were WRONG. That is, they gave me the wrong brake pads. The ones currently in the bike are EBC FA45. The ones I got are different. Shame.

We also replaced the control levers: front brake and clutch.
These are black and whole instead of chrome and broken (old levers pictured below)

In the process of these repairs, whatever was ailing the front brakes seems to have disappeared. They are now SUPER responsive! Great. Now I know how to replace the pads when they go out, and the ones I have seem to work. Will confirm this with a ride when the rain/snow/wind has subsided. Flagstaff spring is brutal for motorcycling.

Overall, very happy with this round of repairs!

Next up: tightening the chain and probably and oil change before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment