Sunday, June 4, 2017

Oil and Filter change

Been putting the miles on this bike, really enjoying late Spring weather!
It shows 26,000 miles on the odometer, so I figured it would behoove me to put give it an oil and filter change.

I ran a little bit of Sea Foam into the engine oil for the 8 mile ride from the Oreillys to the house, since I hear that is supposed to help de-gunk things.
After that, I put just shy of 3 quarts of 10w-40 oil, and a brand new Wix filter (#24939).

While I waited for the oil to drain, I pulled apart the tachometer cable where it enters the engine. Sure enough, the cable snapped right at the point where it attaches to the engine, probably due to the tachometer itself needing serious lubrication. My hopothesis is that the cable won't spin in the gauge due to lack of lubrication, so it stops the cable, while the engine continues to turn it.

I took apart the speedo a few years ago when it was behaving erratically, maybe it's time to perform the same operation on the tach.

Next up, I will need to buy more chain cleaner and chain lube. With all the dust the bike has been seeing on my forays into the forest, I probably ought to step up my chain maintenance.


No comments:

Post a Comment