Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Front Sprocket Separation - New Battery

Sometime in September or October last year, I was riding home from a meeting just before sunset. As I pulled up to a light at about 2 miles/hour, the rear wheel locked up and the bike skidded to a stop.

Looking down, I saw the chain was really loose. Transmission was fine, so it wasn't that; it still went in and out of gear no problem. But the damn thing wouldn't move anywhere. Wouldn't even try. Here I am stuck in traffic, with a bike that won't move.

I shut it off and started hauling it to the side of the road so I can assess the damage. The guy behind me at the light gets out and helps me heave the stubborn bastard to the sidewalk, skidding the rear tire all the way.

Turns out, the front sprocket CAME OFF the drivetrain, and lodged itself against the frame, while somehow managing to still keep hold of the chain. Apparently I didn't take any pictures of it where it got stuck. In order for the sprocket to come off, the bolts had to come out, the washer/lock had to rotate and fall off, and then the sprocket had to move. Not sure where that washer/lock thing disappeared to, but I had my local shop get me a new one for $2.

(not my photo)

You'll notice there are two bolts and a washer type thing holding the sprocket on. Both those bolts were simply gone. No trace of them rattling around the inside of the sprocket housing, no sign of them shearing off. Just gone. Which meant that the sprocket was free to drift all the way off the end of the drive shaft.

Sketchy stuff. If that had happened at speed, it would have either thrown me off the bike, or sheared the sprocket to pieces and THEN thrown me off the bike.

Luckily for me, I was only traveling at the aforementioned two miles an hour.

I limped the bike home, since I only had about two miles to go, stopping every 100 yards to push the sprocket back into place. It took me two hours to go that last two miles, including half of it down a dirt road.

Now, those bolts have the best LOCTITE money can buy, and I check them much more frequently. Did about 220 miles on it over the last weekend of the season and it's holding up much better now.

<hr />

It's March! I've had the bike for two years now, and it's finally time for a new battery. The old one was having a hard time starting most of last season - it had probably been on the bike for a couple years already. Yesterday I dropped by Batteries Plus to get myself a new battery. This one is a slight upgrade from the "recommended" standard flooded battery, in that it puts out a little higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and is sealed, which means I don't have to mess with water/acid, AND it has a one-year warrantee.

Specs call for a 12v 12a battery like this: 



The sealed version is the same size and weight, but for some reason doesn't come up as a recommended replacement/upgrade to the standard flooded battery. I had to spend some time with the sales crew to figure out if they had a "maintenance free" battery that would fit.

Turns out they do. The poles are reversed against the battery I replaced, so I had to stretch the terminal cables to their limit, but it works. Found out the ground to the frame wasn't very tight either, so I cranked that down for a better connection.

Added oil, too. 

Next project is to replace the inner tachometer cable, which was ancient and broke at the end of last season. I've ordered a replacement for $5 and expect to be able to finish that this weekend.

I'm also hoping to upgrade the horn and possibly add additional lighting to the front; the single headlight is kinda wimpy.

Time to get back in the saddle!


3 comments:

  1. I've got an '82 CM450, and I had to do the front rotor, clutch and speedometer cable a couple years ago.

    This year I'm looking at the rear brake (I think my brake shoes are currently flip-flops), and a better headlight. I'm told that the CandlePower kits work well, and is an upgrade to an H4 bulb, which should be a lot brighter. The one for the CM450 is here:

    http://store.candlepower.com/lowwaca61quh.html

    If I get one any time soon, I'll try to remember to update and let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,

      That's cool! For the headlight, I was thinking I would have an additional headlight. Keep the stock one, but add something underneath it as a second might. Like the touring bikes have.

      For my rear brake, I got a less-used set off ebay; couldn't find a new set that would fit.

      Keep me posted!

      Delete
  2. A second headlight or a light bar would work, but I like the cleaner look of just having one good light. One good one might also draw less power than two poor ones, though that would depend on the exact bulbs...

    Yeah, I bought my replacement front rotor on eBay; they're expensive and hard to find new for older bikes. It looks like Motorcycle Superstore and Parts Bandit both have brake shoes they think will fit the CM450. I'll have to see once I've got them.

    I'll let you know what happens... at the moment I can't even get to my garage, so it'll likely be a while before I get any work done.

    ReplyDelete